Friday of the 27th Week in Ordinary Time: The 100th Anniversary of The Miracle of the Sun in Fatima, Portugal
AN EYEWITNESS ACCOUNT BY DR. JOSÉ MARIA DE ALMEIDA GARRETT, PROFESSOR AT THE FACULTY OF SCIENCES OF COIMBRA, PORTUGAL
“It must have been 1:30 p.m when there arose, at the exact spot where the children were, a column of smoke, thin, fine and bluish, which extended up to perhaps two meters above their heads, and evaporated at that height. This phenomenon, perfectly visible to the naked eye, lasted for a few seconds. Not having noted how long it had lasted, I cannot say whether it was more or less than a minute. The smoke dissipated abruptly, and after some time, it came back to occur a second time, then a third time
“The sky, which had been overcast all day, suddenly cleared; the rain stopped and it looked as if the sun were about to fill with light the countryside that the wintery morning had made so gloomy. I was looking at the spot of the apparitions in a serene, if cold, expectation of something happening and with diminishing curiosity because a long time had passed without anything to excite my attention. The sun, a few moments before, had broken through the thick layer of clouds which hid it and now shone clearly and intensely.
“Suddenly I heard the uproar of thousands of voices, and I saw the whole multitude spread out in that vast space at my feet…turn their backs to that spot where, until then, all their expectations had been focused, and look at the sun on the other side. I turned around, too, toward the point commanding their gaze and I could see the sun, like a very clear disc, with its sharp edge, which gleamed without hurting the sight. It could not be confused with the sun seen through a fog (there was no fog at that moment), for it was neither veiled nor dim. At Fatima, it kept its light and heat, and stood out clearly in the sky, with a sharp edge, like a large gaming table. The most astonishing thing was to be able to stare at the solar disc for a long time, brilliant with light and heat, without hurting the eyes or damaging the retina. [During this time], the sun’s disc did not remain immobile, it had a giddy motion, [but] not like the twinkling of a star in all its brilliance for it spun round upon itself in a mad whirl.
“During the solar phenomenon, which I have just described, there were also changes of color in the atmosphere. Looking at the sun, I noticed that everything was becoming darkened. I looked first at the nearest objects and then extended my glance further afield as far as the horizon. I saw everything had assumed an amethyst color. Objects around me, the sky and the atmosphere, were of the same color. Everything both near and far had changed, taking on the color of old yellow damask. People looked as if they were suffering from jaundice and I recall a sensation of amusement at seeing them look so ugly and unattractive. My own hand was the same color.
“Then, suddenly, one heard a clamor, a cry of anguish breaking from all the people. The sun, whirling wildly, seemed all at once to loosen itself from the firmament and, blood red, advance threateningly upon the earth as if to crush us with its huge and fiery weight. The sensation during those moments was truly terrible.
“All the phenomena which I have described were observed by me in a calm and serene state of mind without any emotional disturbance. It is for others to interpret and explain them. Finally, I must declare that never, before or after October 13 , have I observed similar atmospheric or solar phenomena.”
Professor Almeida Garrett’s full account may be found in Novos Documentos de Fatima (Loyala editions, San Paulo, 1984)
Prayer of Consecration to Our Lady of Fatima
O Virgin of Fatima, Mother of Mercy, Queen of Heaven and earth, Refuge of Sinners, we consecrate ourselves to your Immaculate Heart. To you we consecrate our hearts and souls, our families and all that we have. And in order that this consecration may be truly effective and lasting, we renew today the promises of our Baptism and Confirmation; and we undertake to live as good Christians, faithful to God, the Church and the Holy Father. We desire to pray the Rosary, partake in the Holy Eucharist, attach special importance to the first Saturday of the month and work for the conversion of sinners. Furthermore we promise, O most holy Virgin, that we zealously spread devotion to you, so that through our consecration to Your Immaculate Heart and through your own intercession, the coming of the Kingdom of Christ in the world may be hastened. Amen.
Litany to Our Lady of Fatima
Our Lady of Fatima, pray for our dear country.
Our Lady of Fatima, sanctify our clergy.
Our Lady of Fatima, make our Catholics more fervent.
Our Lady of Fatima, guide and inspire those who govern us.
Our Lady of Fatima, cure the sick who confide in thee.
Our Lady of Fatima, console the sorrowful who trust in thee.
Our Lady of Fatima, help those who invoke your aid.
Our Lady of Fatima, deliver us from all dangers.
Our Lady of Fatima, help us to resist temptation.
Our Lady of Fatima, obtain for us all that we lovingly ask of thee.
Our Lady of Fatima, help those who are dear to us.
Our Lady of Fatima, bring back to the right road our erring brothers.
Our Lady of Fatima, give us back our ancient fervor.
Our Lady of Fatima, obtain for us pardon of our manifold sins and offenses.
Our Lady of Fatima, bring all men to the feet of thy Divine Child.
Our Lady of Fatima, obtain peace for the world.
O Mary conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee.
Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us now and at the hour of our death. Amen.
Let Us Pray:
O God of infinite goodness and mercy, fill our hearts with a great confidence in Thy dear Mother, whom we invoke under the title of Our Lady of the Rosary and our Lady of Fatima, and grant us by her powerful intercession all the graces, spiritual and temporal, which we need.
Through Christ our Lord.
The 15 Promises of the Holy Rosary Given by Our Lady
The Holy Rosary is an enormous source of grace and spiritual protection, one of the most powerful sacramentals of the Catholic Church. Sister Lucia dos Santos, one of the children to whom Our Lady appeared at Fatima, once said,
“There is no problem, no matter how difficult it is, whether temporal or above all spiritual, in the personal life of each one of us, of our families … that cannot be solved by the Rosary. There is no problem, I tell you, no matter how difficult it is, that we cannot resolve by the prayer of the Holy Rosary.”
After the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass, the Holy Rosary is the prayer most pleasing to Our Lady.
1. Whoever shall faithfully serve Me by the recitation of the Rosary shall receive signal graces.
2. I promise My special protection and the greatest graces to all those who shall recite the Rosary.
3. The Rosary shall be a powerful armour against hell. It will destroy vice, decrease sin and defeat heresies.
4. It will cause virtue and good works to flourish; it will obtain for souls the abundant mercy of God; it will withdraw the hearts of men from the love of the world and its vanities and will lift them to the desire of eternal things. Oh that souls would sanctify themselves by this means.
5. The soul which recommends itself to Me by the recitation of the Rosary shall not perish.
6. Whoever shall recite the Rosary devoutly, applying himself to the consideration of its Sacred Mysteries, shall never be conquered by misfortune. God will not chastise him in His Justice; he shall not perish by an un-provided death; if he be just, he shall remain in the grace of God and become worthy of eternal life.
7. Whoever shall have a true devotion to the Rosary shall not die without the Sacraments of the Church.
8. Those who are faithful to recite the Rosary shall have during their life and at their death the Light of God and the plentitude of His graces; at the moment of their death they shall participate in the merits of the Saints in Paradise.
9. I shall deliver from Purgatory those who have been devoted to the Rosary.
10. The faithful children of the Rosary shall merit a high degree of glory in Heaven.
11. You shall obtain all you ask of Me by the recitation of the Rosary.
12. All those who propagate the Holy Rosary shall be aided by Me in all their necessities.
13. I have obtained from My Divine Son that all the advocates of the Rosary shall have for their intercessors the entire Celestial Court during their life and at the hour of death.
14. All who recite the Rosary are My sons and brothers of my only Son, Jesus Christ.
15. Devotion to My Rosary is a great sign of predestination.
TALK IS CHEAP
The best apology is changed behavior
You are what you do, not what you’ll say you do
The best advice I ever heard: Pay attention to what people do and forget everything they say
You talk a good game, but I am watching how you play
Actions always prove why words mean nothing
Silence is better than empty words
The Truth doesn’t cost anything but a lie can could cost you everything
I don’t believe what you say, I believe what you do
Don’t worry about what people say behind your back. They are the people busy finding faults in your life instead of fixing their own
Fake Friends: Once they stop talking to you they start talking about you
Don’t fall in love with someone who says the right things. Fall in love with someone who does the right things.
Sometimes you don’t need to hear their excuses because their actions have already spoke the truth
There is no better test of a man’s integrity than his behaviour when he is wrong
Make sure that your actions and behaviour live up to and reflect and reflect the words and ideas, promises and commitments that come out of your mouth
Don’t talk just act, don’t say just show, don’t promise just prove
A person’s actions will tell you everything you need to know
Actions prove who someone is, words just prove who they want to be
I don’t trust words, I trust actions
People say a lot so I watch what they do
The world is changed by your example and not your opinion
Loyalty is hard to find, Trust is easy to lose and actions always speak louder than words
Standing on the sidelines and criticizing is easy. Get in the game if you are man enough
Society has gotten to the point that everyone has a right but nobody has a responsibility
Well done is better than well said
People reveal themselves through their actions
Great people talk about ideas and pursue them, Average people talk about things, Small people talk about other people
Your words mean nothing when your actions are the opposite
To believe in something and not live it is dishonest. Mahatma Ghandi
What you do speaks so loudly that I cannot hear what you say. Ralph Waldo Emerson
I, the LORD, explore the mind and test the heart, Giving to all according to their ways, according to the fruit of their deeds. Jeremiah 17:10
If you love me, keep my commandments. John 14:15
Find a Church Near Me
- Daily Ramblings
- What Do YOU See in the PURIFICATOR?
- Contact Fr. Neil
- Chaplet of Divine Mercy
- Medjugorje Novena
- Prayer to St. Michael (Long Form)
- Novena to Saints Peter and Paul
- Chaplet of St. Michael with AUDIO
- Novena to the Holy Spirit for the Seven Gifts
- Saintly Quotes about the Blessed Mother
- Binding to Jesus
- Novena to St. Therese of the Little Flower
- Novena to St. Joseph and Novena to the Immaculate Heart of Mary
- The Four Mysteries of the Holy Rosary
- Bishops Who Have Visited Medjugorje
- The Sistine Chapel
- Prayers for Humility
- Efficacious Novena to the Sacred Heart of Jesus and Novena to the Immaculate Heart of Mary
- Medjugore Live Streaming Video
- Daily Marian Consecration
- 33 Day Total Consecration to Jesus through Mary (page 4)
- 33 Day Total Consecration to Jesus through Mary (Page 3)
- 33 Day Total Consecration to Jesus Through Mary (Page 2)
- 33 Day Total Consecration to Jesus Through Mary (Page 1)
- Medjugorje Videos
- 4 Popes and the USA Bishops
- Medjugorje: The Septic Tank of the World for Sin
- A Lenten Examination of Conscience
- Mary Did You Know?
- The 4 Qualities of the Church