1. The fibers, with which the tilma is made, would normally disintegrate in an absolute maximum period of 30 years (and usually within 15 years). This tilma is 487 years old and still in perfect condition!
2. There are no signs of paint actually on the tilma. When viewed from a distance of 10 cm, the color disappears!
3. The materials that compose the colors do not belong to any known chemical element. This fact was attested to by Richard Kuhn, winner of the Nobel Prize for Chemistry.
4. By laser ray projection, it was established that the colors HOVER above the tilma and do so at a distance of three tenths of a millimeter above the cloth but do not touch it at any point.
5. Several ophthalmologists have studied the eyes of the image. The first such study was undertaken by five ophthalmologists in 1956, two of them non-believers. The astounding result confirmed by all of them was that, when looking through an ophthalmoscope, it was exactly the same as looking at an ordinary human eye of a living person. The same results have occurred every time that the eyes have been examined by experts since that time. It was also noted that the eyelids show normal microscopic veins.
6. According to Dr Jose Aste Tonsmann, an expert in digital imaging, 13 minute human figures can be detected in the pupils of the eyes on the image.
7. Ophthalmic studies have also detected that, when the eye on the tilma is exposed to light, the retina contracts, When the light is removed the retina dilates again. This is the reaction of a normal living eye.
8. When a stethoscope is placed below the black maternity band at the waist, a rhythmic beat at 115 pulses per minute is heard. This is the normal heart rate for a baby in the womb.
9. When the temperature of the tilma is measured, it has always been at a constant temperature of 98.6 degrees, the normal human temperature.
10. No dust, insects or other impurities that would normally be found on such an item can be detected on the tilma.
11. The stars visible on the cloak (46 in total) reflect the exact configuration and position of the stars at the winter solstice, which is when the image on the tilma was produced and further, exactly as configured on December 12 1531. But, oddly, the constellations are shown approximately from an east/west axis rather than north/south as is usual, as though Our Lady was moving from the Old World to the New.
12. The apparently random pattern on the dress or tunic is an accurate map of the topography of central Mexico. The 'map' shows all the principal rivers, mountains and lakes.
What is most amazing to me is that some 9 million natives were converted to Christianity within 7 years after this appearance. “You can tell a tree by its fruit.” (Matthew 7:16) These people, who for centuries had practiced a polytheistic religion with human sacrifice, suddenly became Christians!